ARC welcomes Chancellor’s re-investment of £750million in HMRC
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ARC President Tony Wallace welcomed the Chancellor’s announcement this afternoon to re-invest three quarters of a billion pounds in HMRC to further tackle avoidance and evasion.
“Since 2010 ARC has consistently made the case that an investment in the work of HMRC and ARC members will yield a significant dividend for the country.
“In 2013 our Budget submission suggested an investment of £312m could yield as much as £8.2bn. In June this year I met with David Gauke, Financial Secretary to The Treasury, and called for £750m to deliver on the Conservative Government’s pledge to deliver an additional £5bn from tax avoidance. ARC is delighted that the Chancellor has accepted our case.
“ARC has built a strong consensus among those who share our view. Senior figures from the CBI employers group, the accountancy profession (ACCA), Tax Justice Network and Tax Research UK all agree that the collection of tax is arguably the most important business of Government. Without it, there is no defence, no rule of law and no National Health Service.
“The next step is to ensure that the Spending Review does not take away what the Budget has provided – a better resourced HMRC, more capable of delivering on its job of reducing the tax gap.”
Notes for editors
- The Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC) is a union representing senior staff in HM Revenue and Customs, including tax inspectors, accountants, lawyers, managers and other leading professionals. ARC represents members in HMRC at grade 7 and above, and also trainees in grade 7 entry schemes. It is also a section of the FDA.
- The FDA is the trade union and professional body representing 18,000 of the UK’s senior civil and public servants. Our members include policy advisors, senior managers, tax inspectors, economists, statisticians, accountants, special advisers, government lawyers, diplomats, crown prosecutors and NHS managers.
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as “The FDA” and can be described as “the senior public servants’ union”.
- For further information contact:
- Tony Wallace, ARC President, tel: 020 7401 5555.
- Katie Lazell, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5588 or 07939 257985.